- 1 cup warm water
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups of flour
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
2. Close the bread machine door, set it on the dough setting and walk away for around 1 ½ hours.
3. When the dough is ready, mold it at least 2 loaves. For a traditional look, divide each loaf info 3 parts and braid. Place on greased cookie sheets. Cover loosely with towel. Let it rise for 2-3 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Brush the top of the challah gently with an egg yolk. If desired, sesame or poppy seeds can be sprinkled on top of the egg wash.
6. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 30 minutes.
To check that the challah is done baking, gently knock on the bottom of it. A hollow sound means the challah is ready.