Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 pounds (1 kilo) pasta - baby shells or penne are best, medium shells or ridged pasta is also okay
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cream (15-30%)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground all-spice (optional)
- 1 cup finely grated Cheddar
2. Preheat oven to 325° F (160° C).
3. In a saute pan, melt butter. Lightly sweat the onions and whisk in the flour. Cook to a blonde roux.
4. Add cream. Cook until it reaches a simmer, whisking constantly.
5. Add milk. Bring to a light steam (just under simmering).
6. Add spices. Give it a few more whisks and turn off the flame.
7. Strain the sauce to get rid of the onion. Then mix the sauce with the pasta.
8. Place mixture in a 12 x 2 1/2 inch pan, or any pan into which it will fit without making it too thick.
9. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese on top.
10. Bake for 25 minutes.