- 1/2 (17.5 ounce) box puff pastry dough
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp. heavy cream or soymilk
- 2 (3.5 ounce) milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate bars
2. Remove the puff pastry from the freezer. Take 1 sheet out of the package and return the second sheet to the freezer. Lightly cover the puff pastry sheet with a kitchen towel and allow it thaw for 25 minutes on the counter.
3. In a small bowl, mix the egg yolk with the heavy cream or soy milk.
4. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
5. Unroll the puff pastry sheet and then cut the puff pastry on the creases into 3 long strips. Cut each strip into 3 equal squares. You will have 9 equal squares.
6. Brush the tops of each square all over with the egg yolk mixture.
7. Place a long rectangle of chocolate down the center of one square. Bring both side of the puff pastry to the center and pinch the sides together to enclose the chocolate.
8. Place the pastry, seam side down, on the prepared cookie sheet.
9. Do this with all 9 chocolate rectangles and puff pastry squares.
10. Brush the tops of each croissant with the remaining egg yolk mixture. Sprinkle with a pinch of sugar.
11. Place into the hot oven and bake for 15 minutes, until the croissants are puffed and golden brown.
YIELDS: 9 croissants
SOURCE: Kosher by Design: Kids in the Kitchen, by Susie Fishbein. Recipe reprinted with permission from Mesorah Publications.