Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours, 5 minutes
Yield: 8-10 servings
- 1 5 lb. (2.5 kilo) brisket
- 1 32 oz. jar (2 550 gram cans in Israel) sauerkraut, drained
- 1 28. oz (800 grams) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
2. Preheat oven to 325° Fahrenheit (165° Celsius).
3. Bake at 325° Fahrenheit (165° Celsius) for approximately 3 hours, or until a digital instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the brisket reads 190° for well done.
4. When cool, thinly slice the brisket against the grain. It is very important to slice the brisket correctly. If the meat is not sliced against the grain, it will be tough.
Tip: It is best to prepare the brisket a day before it is served as the taste is enhanced after it sits in the fridge.