- 2 eggs plus 2 egg whites
- 1 small onion, peeled
- 1 (2-pound) package of frozen cauliflower thawed and drained very well or
- 1 fresh head, steamed and drained very well
- 2 tablespoons soy or whole-wheat flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- non-stick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for frying
2. Add cauliflower, soy or regular flour and seasonings. Mix until finely chopped; do not over process.
3. Wipe a non-stick frying pan with a paper towel dipped in oil and spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray.
4. Put on medium heat. Wait until hot and drop batter by tablespoonfuls into pan. Fry 4-5 minutes until firm and browned on both sides.
YIELD: 16 servings
To fry EnLITEned Latkes, with each new batch, spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray and wipe the pan with oil as well. Be patient with these pancakes and fry them until they are firm and cooked through, or they will fall apart when flipped.
VARIATION: Substitute and/or combine with spinach, broccoli etc.
Serving size 1 latke, (oz) 2, (g) 60
Protein (g) 2.8
Carbs (g) 2.5
Fat (g) 1.8
Sat. Fat (g) 0.3
Cholesterol (mg) 21
Sodium (mg) 72
Calcium (mg) 28
Fiber (g) 1
Exchanges: Free vegetable 1 Fat 1/2