Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 1 package active-dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups water, lukewarm
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
2. Stir in salt and flour.
3. Knead dough until soft, smooth and comes away from the side of the bowl. If dough is sticky, add more flour.
4. Cover dough with a cloth. Leave in a warm place for 20 minutes.
5. Punch down dough.
6. On a floured surface, roll out balls of dough to 4 x 6 x 1 inch thick rectangles.
7. Roll each rectangle into a 1/2 inch thick log. Moisten ends and press together to form a bagel.
8. Place on floured cookie sheet. Cover with a cloth. Leave in a warm place for 20 minutes.
9. Heat water in a large soup pot, but do not bring to a boil.
10. Place a few bagels at a time into the hot water. Simmer, uncovered, for 7 minutes.
11. Drain on towel. Repeat with remaining dough.
12. Place boiled bagels on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes, or until golden.