Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: Serves 12-14
- 1 1/2 cups chopped bittersweet chocolate, or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp instant espresso granules
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup oil
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. (If you are using a dark or nonstick pan, reduce the heat by 25° F). Lightly grease and flour a Bundt pan, making sure to tap out any excess flour. Or, grease 2 9-inch layer cake pans, and line the bottom of each with a parchment paper circle. Grease the parchment circles. Set aside.
2. In a double-boiler or microwave, melt the chocolate. Alternatively, place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl, and set it over a small saucepan of gently simmering water (the bottom of the bowl should rest in the saucepan, but should not touch the water). Stir constantly until the chocolate melts, then remove the bowl from the saucepan and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, instant espresso, and salt.
4. In another bowl, whisk together the oil, orange juice, water, eggs, and vanilla.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix just until combined. Add the melted chocolate, and stir just until it is well incorporated and the batter is smooth.
6. Pour the batter in to the prepared pan(s). Bake at 350° F until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean – about 50 to 60 minutes if using a Bundt pan, or 35 to 45 minutes if using layer cake pans. Cool completely on a wire rack. Glaze or frost as desired. Enjoy!