Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
Yield: 12-14 servings
- 1 large cabbage, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- MEAT BALLS
- 2 pounds (1 kilogram) ground meat
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces (125 grams) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons matzo meal or bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 16 ounces (450 grams) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, or to taste
2. In a bowl, mix together the meat ball ingredients. Form the mixture into meat balls. Place the balls on top of the cabbage. Cover and continue to cook on low flame.
3. In a bowl, mix the sauce ingredients. Pour on top of the balls.
4. Cook for 1 hour, and then stir and taste. At this point, you can adjust seasonings by adding more water or tomato sauce or lemon juice or brown sugar according to taste. Cook for another 15-30 minutes, or until the meat is cooked through and the cabbage is tender.