Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 3 onions, chopped
- 6 carrots, grated thick
- 5 Tablespoons oil (enough to cover bottom of pot)
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2-3 pounds (1-1.5 kilo) boneless chicken breast, cut into small bite-size squares
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 cups rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt rice
- 3 1/2 cups boiling water (enough to cover the rice by 1/2 inch or 1 cm)
2. Lay the chicken on top of the onions and carrots. Don't stir in order to maintain a layer of vegetables and a distinct layer of meat. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the chicken. Cook the chicken, gently turning the pieces over in the middle, until the chicken turns white.
3. Add rice on top of the chicken. Don't stir because the layers of vegetables and chicken should remain undisturbed, but distribute the rice evenly over the chicken. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add boiling water. Turn the heat down to low and cover.
4. After about 15 minutes, scrap down the sides and poke a few holes through the rice to the bottom of the pot with the handle of a wooden spoon. Cover and cook for another 15-25 minutes, until the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
5. Serve in reverse order of the layers. Put the rice, then the chicken, then the vegetables onto the plates.
Yields: 6-8 servings.