Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 3 eggplants, cut (unpeeled) into 3/4-1 inch slices
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced into strips
- canola oil for deep frying
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- salt according to taste
- parsley, chopped (optional)
2. In a deep pot, heat oil until hot. Deep fry the eggplant slices until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon. Cool in paper towels to remove excess oil.
3. Remove most of the oil from the pot, and add the red pepper slices. Saute until just softened.
4. Put the eggplant and red pepper in a large bowl.
5. In a small bowl, mix the ketchup, vinegar and garlic. Gently stir into the eggplant and red pepper salad. Add salt according to taste.
6. Cover and refrigerate. This salad is best when it sits for a few hours or overnight before serving.
Serving Suggestions: Serve cold. Serve the salad in a shallow dish in 1-2 layers. If desired, garnish with chopped parsley.
Variation: Some people dust the eggplant slices lightly with flour before frying.