Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- variety of vegetables (cauliflower, zucchini, cabbage, pumpkin, sweet potato, carrots, celery, parsley root...)
- 3 Tablespoons oil
- 3 large onions
- parve chicken soup mix to taste
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- fresh parsley
- fresh dill
- coconut milk
2. Chop onions.
3. Heat oil in skillet. Saute onions until softened.
4. In a large soup pot, mix together the sauteed onions with the cut vegetables. Cover with water.
5. Over medium-high heat, bring the soup to a boil. Stir in parve chicken soup mix, salt and pepper to taste.
6. Cover partially. Turn heat down to low. Cook for an hour, or until the vegetables are tender enough to be mashed.
7. Add a generous amount of fresh parsley and dill.
8. Add coconut milk.
9. Remove soup from heat. Use an immersion blend to puree the soup to the desire consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly. I always add more salt and pepper at this point.
1. To reduce prep time and oil in the recipe, do not saute the onion. Just mix the chopped onion directly with the other cut vegetables.
2. Add pearly barley to the soup as soon as it begins to boil.
3. Add a can of corn to the soup at the same time you add the coconut milk.
TIPS: This soup freezes well.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve soup hot with croutons.