Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours
- 1 10-12 pound (5 kilogram) whole turkey
- 2-3 onions, sliced
- 2-3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 cups cubed bread
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 cup canned mushrooms, drained and finely diced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2-3 Tbsp. paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
Thaw frozen turkey in the refrigerator (this minimizes bacteria growth). Keep the turkey in its original wrapper and put it in a shallow pan (to catch drippings). Allow about 48 hours (2 full days) to thaw a 10-12 pound turkey. Once the turkey is defrosted, remove the neck and giblets from its cavities. Rinse and dry turkey. The turkey should be cooked immediately after defrosted (this minimizes bacteria growth).
2. PREPARE STUFFING
1) Heat oil in a skillet, and saute vegetables for about 5 minutes.
2) Dip bread in hot water, squeeze out water and add to sauteed vegetables.
3) Add beaten eggs and spices.
3. STUFF AND BIND TURKEY
1) Lightly stuff the turkey's neck and body cavities.
2) Tie the legs together.
3) Bind the wings to the body.
4. PREPARE TURKEY
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Place sliced onions and celery on the bottom of a roasting pan. Add water and salt. Place rack over the vegetables. Place the turkey, breast side up, on the rack. Insert a meat thermometer deep into the thickest part of the thigh next to the body, not touching the bone.
3) In a small bowl, mix the oil and spices. Brush the mixture onto the turkey's skin (to keep the turkey moist).
5. ROAST TURKEY
1) Cover and roast the turkey at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Uncover, baste and roast for approximately another 1/2 to 1 hour.
2) Turkey is fully cooked when (a) the thigh's internal temperature is 180 degrees Fahrenheit, (b) the thickest part of breast is 170 degrees Fahrenheit, (c) the center of the stuffing is 160 degrees Fahrenheit, and (d) the turkey legs pull easily away from the body.
3) Let the turkey stand at least 20 minutes before carving.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with this Easy Turkey Gravy.