Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2/3 cup blanched almonds (3 oz.)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened Passover cocoa
- 3/8 tsp. almond extract (if available)
- 1-2 egg whites
2. Grind the almonds with the sugar and cocoa in a food processor until fine. Add the almond extract and pulse to combine. With the motor running, slowly add just enough of the egg white to form a think sticky paste that barely holds its shape when dropped from a spoon.
3. Drop slightly rounded teaspoons of batter about 1-1/2 inches apart onto the sheets. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
4. Position the racks in upper and lower third of the oven and preheat to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Bake macaroons for 20-25 minutes. They will puff and be slightly crisp and crackled on top; centers will still be moist but not completely gooey. Cool completely on a rack before peeling off the parchment paper.
Macaroons may be stored, airtight, at room temperature for up to three days. They can be frozen for up to two months.