Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours
- 1/2 cup red beans
- 1/2 cup white beans
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1/2 cup barley
- 4 potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons onion soup powder
- 1 15-ounce (400 grams) can diced tomatoes
2. Heat oil in a skillet. Saute onions for 5-7 minutes, until translucent.
3. In a crockpot, mix onions with beans and barley. Add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
4. Add potatoes. Cook, covered, on low heat for 30 more minutes.
5. Stir in onion soup mix and tomatoes. Cook, tightly covered, on low heat for several hours or (if you plan to serve it for Sabbath lunch) overnight.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Add a parve cholent kugel - a vegetarian kishke - to the cholent. Serve with rice.
TIPS: Check the cholent's water level occasionally as it cooks. If too much water evaporates, add some water to the cholent.