Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
- 1 chicken cut into 6 pieces
- 1 1/2 cups of uncooked rice
- 1 tablespoon of onion soup mix
- 1/2-1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried spice mix of garlic & herb or chicken seasoning
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- Water - about 1/4 cup less water than the directions on the rice package require for cooking 1 1/2 cups rice
2. Spray a shallow baking tin with the cooking spray.
3. Place the uncooked rice in the tin and add the onion soup mix. Mix together and spread out the rice to cover the bottom of the pan.
4. Place the chicken, skin side up, on top of the rice.
5. Sprinkle the chicken with the pepper, dried spice mix and paprika, in that order.
6. Add the water to the pan.
7. Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
8. Place the chicken in the hot oven and cook for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Check the chicken regularly to make sure that the rice isn't dry. If the rice is dry add some more water a tablespoon at a time.
9. Remove the foil for the last fifteen minutes of cooking in order to brown the chicken.
TIP: Make sure the chicken and rice are tightly covered so the steam stays in the pot and keeps the chicken moist.