Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 package bowties noodles
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup kasha
- 1 egg
- 2 cups boiling water or soup stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons margarine
2. In a heavy frying pan with a cover, heat oil. Saute the onions (for approximately 5 minutes). Set aside.
3. In a bowl, beat the egg. Stir the kasha into the egg so that all the kernals are coated.
4. Pour the egg-covered kasha into the frying pan. Fry over high heat, stirring, until the egg has dried and kernels are separate (for approximately 3 minutes).
5. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring 2 cups of water or soup stock to a boil.
6. Pour the hot liquid over the kasha. Add the onion and seasonings. Cover and simmer on low heat until all the liquid has been absorbed (for 10-15 minutes).
7. While the kasha is still warm, stir in the bowtie noodles.
8. Melt the margarine. Mix into the kasha and bowties.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS Serve warm.