- 2-3 large onions
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons parve chicken soup powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8-10 large potatoes
2. Peel and slice onions into rounds. Heat oil in a frying pan. Saute onions until translucent. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mix the hot water, melted margarine, flour, soup mix, salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Peel and slice potatoes into thin rounds. If possible, use a food processor.
5. Grease a large casserole dish. In the dish, place half of the onions. Cover with half of the potatoes. Layer with the rest of the onions and top with the rest of the potatoes.
6. Pour the sauce mixture over the top. Sprinkle the top with paprika.
8. Bake, uncovered, at 350°F (180°C) for 1 1/2 hours, or until a knife easily cuts through the layers of potatoes and the top of the dish is nicely browned.