- 16 ounces shredded purple cabbage
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 3 carrots, julienned, or 1 (8-ounce) bag shredded carrots
- 1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges, reserving liquid
- 1-2 handfuls dried cranberries (can be sweetened kind)
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reserved mandarin orange liquid
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon parve chicken consomme powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2. In a jar or cruet, mix the brown sugar, pepper, salt, vinegar, reserved liquid from the oranges, oil, consomme powder, and garlic powder. Close and shake until thoroughly mixed.
3. Pour over the salad. Refrigerate to let the flavors mix for at least 1 hour. Can prepare early in the day.
YIELDS: 8-10 servings
SOURCE: Passover by Design, by Susie Fishbein. Recipe reprinted with permission from Mesorah Publications.